DBT & EFT Psychotherapist
Experience & Expertise
Denise is a qualified DBT Therapist with over ten years experience. She has supported clients with a diagnosis of borderline personality disorder (BPD), including those with co-morbid diagnoses of post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), eating disorders, obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD), and trauma associated with rape, domestic violence and childhood abuse. Denise has also supported clients with learning difficulties through adaptations of the DBT programme according to individual need. Denise particularly enjoys working with new clients, moving towards establishing a programme of treatment based on DBT assessment protocols and guidelines and seeing clients take control of their lives.
Denise has worked in medium and low/locked in-patient settings. She has a long-standing experience of delivering DBT Skills groups (Mindfulness, Distress Tolerance, Interpersonal Effectiveness and Emotion Regulation).
Denise delivers six-session Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction (MBSR) courses and has regularly delivered DBT groups for those who have graduate from DBT programmes and want to focus on generalisation of the skills they have learned and developed, and problem solving. She has also facilitated a group Radical Openness course for those with difficulties associated with a need for over control.
Denise has trained others in the understanding of borderline personality disorder and in the various elements of DBT. As an accredited Tutor with APT, Denise finds this particularly rewarding as it is effective in helping to dispel the stigma surrounding this debilitating disorder.
Denise is trained in Emotionally Focused Therapy with individuals (EFIT) and also with couples (EFCT). As a gentle and very effective therapy, EFT uses an ‘attachment lens’ to look at how we connect with others and how sometimes this can be fractured or we can become ‘stuck’ in our relationships with ourselves and others.
Qualifications & Training
Denise’s initial, and subsequent training has been with British Isles DBT, starting in 2010. This has been followed by continuous professional development, weekly team consultation, individual coaching and advanced training to include, but is not exclusive:
- Group Radical Openness DBT. (Dr Richard Booth & Dr Rachel Egan)
- DBT Problem Solving Workshop, British Isles DBT. (Dr Heidi Heard. British Isle’s DBT Training)
- Anger Management Workshop. (Prof. Tom Lynch)
- Treating PTSD in DBT with High Risk Clients. British Isles DBT. (Melanie Harned. British Isle’s DBT Training)
- ACT Made Simple. (Russ Harris)
- ACT Advanced Workshop. (Russ Harris)
- Teaching Clients Mindfulness Skills. (Christine Dunkley. British Isle’s DBT Training)
- Intro to Compassion Focused Therapy for Shame and Self-Critical Behaviour. (Dr Paul Gilbert. The Compassionate Mind Foundation)
- Radically Open DBT. (Prof. Tom Lynch)
- ICEEFT Level 1 EFT Training (Dr Sue Johnson and Dr Leanne Campbell)
- ICEEFT Level 2 EFT Training (Dr Sue Johnson and Dr Leanne Campbell)
- BEFT Externship EFCT (Sandra Taylor and Helene Ikgebuike)
- BEFT CORE (EFCT) (Sandra Taylor and Helene Ikgebuike)
- Member of the British Isles Society for DBT
- Member of BABCP
Main Therapeutic Approaches
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Couples Therapy (EFCT)
For more information on starting counselling with Serendipity Psychology, and to book a consultation with Denise Poynter please contact Serendipity Psychology today. Whether you’re looking for individual therapy, couples therapy or family therapy, Serendipity Psychology can assist you today, offering online & face-to-face sessions.